Engine Shut Down

Beckie20071982

Question

Hi.

So need a little advice and help, I have a grand voyager 2007, I love it but have recently been having a few problems.

The main thing happen the other day, whilst driving I pulled out of a junction and the engine shut down and everything stopped. It was like an injector failed and went into safe mode, but went into super safe mode and switched the whole car off, no power steering, no brakes nothing! It took about 6 attempts to start again, and has started fine since. Until today when it took about 3 attempts after parking for a while.

2nd problem is that the steering shakes like mad once over 40mph, have had wishbones and some bushes done recently to try to fix the problem, but it doesn't seem to have made a difference. This was done after tracking came back fine.

Help please!

9 answers to this question

Not my area as mines petrol - but check other threads for the fuel filter housing problem that the diesels have.

On the shaking steering, we have non standard alloys, with a "spacer" ring to centralise them for fitting.

And when garages, or even a tyre place from my personal experience, just wallop the wheels on and airgun them up they may not be centred correctly.

Because mine shook its flaming head off after a puncture repair!!!

So I refitted it myself, slowly and centred it up with the wheel nuts, lo and behold it's fine.

Or has it been kerbed, and bent something? Has the Mrs not admitted it......Mine did, because she damaged the ruddy tyres!!!!! Due for change very soon anyway thankfully.

The reverse problem - if that's when coming out of park, can you hear the clunk release when you put your foot on the brake? If not it might just be a brake switch problem.

Edited by bignev

Are you petrol or Diesel this is not clear. Could be cam crank sensors they fail due to heat soak so does your engine conk out after it heats up for a time. Fuel pressure regulator is another option, funny that it stops engines starting but drives ok. Now the one that you need to check is the fuel filter. Is there fuel drip onto road on standing. It's low down on cylinder block, with hand primer. There is a diaphragm in top so if air gets in the cracked rubber fuel runs back to tank...These are diesel probs of course.

Oh and any codes to confirm...

Edited by gordy

Lol @@bignev I am the missus and it's my car My hubby's a truck mechanic, but won't touch my car lol!

No not curbed, the problem with shaking arose after having a punture repaired at my local garage, so may well be spacers, it's going back in this week so will have them check!

As for the reverse gear, when it's in park on even the smallest of gradients it just stays locked in park, have tried everything and usually it goes into gear after turning engine off a few times.

@@gordy it's a diesel, it's only done it the once, about 45 mins before the engine shut down, it took 3 attempts to start, drove for about 15 mins parked again for about 30mins and started fine before driving and stopping. Taking to the garage this week so will mention all of the above. Have plugged computer in and no error codes showing

ha ha my apologies for the almost sexist comment!!!

My Mrs had a good laugh at that too!

Could well indeed be the fitting, ours was REALLY awful, not a bit but shaking a good inch each way. Lets hope it's that simple!

Ours can be tight to get out of park on hills, with a loud thunk when it does. Have to tried sitting with the ignition on, but not running, and listen for a small click type noise as you put your foot on the brake pedal? It should, this is the mechanical release so the gear lever can move.

gordy will probably be on the right lines with the diesel fuel filter I reckon.

@@bignev no worries over the almost sexist comment lol!

It makes a really loud thunk when on hills and in park to reverse, will try to listen for the noise before starting the engine. Hopefully my mate at the garage can have a look otherwise it'll be going back for tracking and balancing. Fuel filter is going to be the first thing on his list lol!

Thanks for the help @@bignev@gordy

Just to add my part here, the shift into reverse, click and clunk part! I believe this is a *feature* of this type of auto-box. The park position uses a tooth and groove type lock to 'lock' the transmission in park. If that's all you hold the vehicle on an incline (and don't use the park brake, or it's almost inoperative) then that tooth and groove will latch in quite firmly. Then to release it takes a bit of effort to pull it out of the groove (If you could, try manually rocking the car forward up the incline (easier said than done with these big beasties!) and you'll probably find the shifter clicks out easily). So not particularly an electrical fault, more mechanical in nature.

Try putting the park brake on really firmly on an incline, preferably before engaging park and see if it makes any difference, if it does then that's all the issue is.

Edited by andyb2000