Fault Code P01698 Fix It Or Sell It

bignev

Question

Hi guys,

On our 2002 3.3 V6 I've been struggling to find the cause of the code, "no CCD / J1850 message from TCM / PCM"

It drives fine - apart from the fact it's in 2nd gear, or reverse - with no speedo

All the gear indicator blocks are illuminated.

I have access to a proper full on code reader that will see the TCM unit on our other 2005 car including solenoid pressures etc etc etc,

I have physically checked the wiring, checked all fuses, relays, swapped some around to check just in case.

I've swapped the TCM, and the dash / clocks console. But no change - and the code reader doesn't "see" either of the TCM's.

Any clever ideas fellas????

If I can't sort it I will sell it, we've had it 4 years, up to now been great, only 1 previous owner too, and a genuine full service history. LX model but with full leather and multi CD changer, and on LPG.

13 answers to this question

Its telling you an / either / or on the CCD, TCM or PCM and code 1850 is related to the transmission control module. 1850 is 'no I/P cluster CCD message messages'. CCD just means the two wire comms wire from the BCM.

- 1850 however can be related to 1686 which is a SKIM code error from the immobiliser

- 1850 as you know, is the MIC module [mechanical instrument cluster] CCD error via the BCM

- 1850 is also related to the EATx transmission module

- see

apart from the fact it's in 2nd gear, or reverse - with no speedo

Do you mean it will only go in 2nd & reverse or it won't go into 2nd & reverse at all in which case its not an electrical control problem and likely to be knackered gearbox. R D N & Park are human manual, the others are TCM  or EATx for the diesel. Pull the sump and see if its full of 'planet' swarf metal ! 

proper full on code reader that will see the TCM unit on our other 2005 car including solenoid pressures etc etc etc

There's not much other than DRB's & StarScans that will read that box - what diagnostic scanner did you use ? Have a look here for the gearbox earth COMM's issue

Yes, it drives beautifully smoothly, but only selects 2nd of the forward gears, won't change up, and still selects reverse, park and neutral, silently - no graunching.

I get the same results with the TCM disconnected.

I have seen the posts before on the earthing problems, but they seem to have different symptoms, jumping gear and into neutral while driving.

I don't know the make of the scanner, it belongs to (thankfully) a good mate who owns a workshop. But as I said it sees all the seperate items on my 2005 car, inc the TCM data, and the on the 2002 one with the problem but not the TCM.

I am popping down there tomorrow, will let you all know if I weigh it in for scrap or it's further investigations!!!

And thanks for the input, I'm getting naffed off with it.

I am heading to thinking I've been really unlucky and got a duff 2nd hand unit too!

Edited by bignev

Ok then, I thought I was going to be clever and put the old TCM on my 2005 car, anyone know where it is???????

Cos it's not under the wing like the 2002!!!!!!!

I can confirm thought it is getting 12 volts to pins 56 + and 57 -.

Or anyone know of any tests with a multimeter I can do on the TCM????

Edited by bignev

Is yours a 604 or a 41-TE ? The A-604 was the 'betweenie' just before the improved 41-TE where solenoids replaced computer driven servo's which lowered the torque under gear change to prevent inadequate hydraulic filling time [to each gear chamber] to engage clutch. So it was an awkward time when the manufacture went from America / Chrysler to Europe / Daimler and the 604 was already known to have a 'filling time' issue.

I always think in terms of money & ability. Its a well founded fact that a change of ATF-4+ can give life to a previously diagnosed as dead trannie, and that  pulling the pan and see if there's metal in it can tell you the worst early to avoid 'parts darts'. Because the 604 had a habit of blowing the planetary gear to hell I'd pull the pan and see if there's metal in it. That way I've eliminated one very big question.

The 99-02's were either OSF engine bay or NSF inside the car under the trim. You have to REM that these designed cars would for example be under the trim [American] drivers side, all they did was relocate the steering & pedal arrangement. Find your year and look for a schematic location.

Cheers, VERY useful link.

Sadly it means my 2005 car can't swap the TCM to check it, they have changed it to a combined unit instead of separate engine ECU and TCM,arse.

Back to the 2002, I have done a continuity test on what is supposed to be the bus wire from the TCM pin 43 to PCM behind the battery and that wire is fine, sadly.

And opened up the wire harness underneath, and again sadly all look and feel ok.

But the problem is a lack of communication TCM to PCM and that sodding wire is fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And yes it's got a good earth back to the PCM, I did check that.

Cheers, VERY useful link.

Sadly it means my 2005 car can't swap the TCM to check it, they have changed it to a combined unit instead of separate engine ECU and TCM,arse.

Back to the 2002, I have done a continuity test on what is supposed to be the bus wire from the TCM pin 43 to PCM behind the battery and that wire is fine, sadly.

And opened up the wire harness underneath, and again sadly all look and feel ok.

But the problem is a lack of communication TCM to PCM and that sodding wire is fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And yes it's got a good earth back to the PCM, I did check that.

HiYa Nev, yeh the PCM is a pig, most changed PCM's were not faulty, and by definition most replacement PCM's [other than re-manufactured ones] are clearly a guess - either good or faulty. I posted pics on this site of the minefield that is the underside and attached loom bundle of the PCM somewhere.

Just a thought, if I have ended up with a replacement TCM that's duff, any idea if one with similar but not the same part number work?

Yes I appreciate it may have different shift patterns, and other things, but if it's the same software from an earlier version, and above all if it communicates, then it's a step forward. From the very detailed info on the data sheets it seems they lose any learned stuff on a battery disconnect anyhow, and go back to standard parameters.

I cannot find another with the exact same number now.

I've been outside under and over the damn car most of the afternoon and can't see anything untoward, the unit is getting 12v, the ignition switch 12v happens correctly, the pci wire bells out ok.

I also found the "red wire splice" that various forums refer to, it's in the big wiring loom tube directly in front of the transmission, bugger all wrong with mine. I can't find any earth straps that they refer to, other than on the starter motor.

In my mind it would seem the 2nd TCM appears to be a duffer, but have no means to check this of course, can't find anywhere for info with resistances through it.

Edited by bignev

HiYa Nev, putting a new earth on can be any clean bolt to any clean bolt on the gearbox itself. Even so called re-manufactured TCM's as with any [ECM etc] brain can mean different things, (1) most just swap out (2) some bench test connections only and the (3) good expensive ones re-code on your known VIN via the TECHauthority. Best of luck.

Launch x431 Diagun - used to be £400, and Chrysler witech MicroPod II less than £300provides 100% CAN coverage for Chrysler, Dodge & Jeep.

The diagnostic time-savings is equally as large due to the superior organization and logical navigation of WiTech.  In addition, the MicroPOD II with WiTech software also supplies diagnostic repair information keyed to each trouble code.