Getting A Spare Key

darkchild101

Question

8 answers to this question

I bought a blank transponder key off ebay, there's a couple of different types but they look different so easy to get the right one. I then took it to my local cobbler who cut it to my original key for £2

It then worked mechanically in my doors & ignition. I then tried to program it using the official method (only works if you have two original keys) and then found out that UK spec chryslers don't support the key programming option,

I then called my local auto lock people and they said they could program it for £25, but before I got round to getting it done I sold the car.

So basically you can get the key off ebay, I even think they will cut it if you supply the original code, but then you need to get it programmed correctly.

Mat

I bought a blank transponder key off ebay, there's a couple of different types but they look different so easy to get the right one. I then took it to my local cobbler who cut it to my original key for £2

It then worked mechanically in my doors & ignition. I then tried to program it using the official method (only works if you have two original keys) and then found out that UK spec chryslers don't support the key programming option,

I then called my local auto lock people and they said they could program it for £25, but before I got round to getting it done I sold the car.

So basically you can get the key off ebay, I even think they will cut it if you supply the original code, but then you need to get it programmed correctly.

Mat

Unless i misunderstand you, so you mean i can get a second hand key off ebay and get it programmed. Do the blank keys on ebay have a transponder in them?

Hi, no... you can get a brand new uncut/unprogrammed transponder key off ebay, I paid around £12 I think.  You then need to get it cut to match your original. If you have the manufacturer code, the key supplier can cut it for you. If not just take it to a local key cutter along with your original.

You then need to get the transponder programmed, in Chrysler USA cars, there's a procedure that you can follow to program it yourself, but you need at least two already programmed keys. This didn't work for me. But you can just take the newly cut one to any car locksmith and they'll program it for you as long as you have at least one original.

Mat

Hi, no... you can get a brand new uncut/unprogrammed transponder key off ebay, I paid around £12 I think.  You then need to get it cut to match your original. If you have the manufacturer code, the key supplier can cut it for you. If not just take it to a local key cutter along with your original.

You then need to get the transponder programmed, in Chrysler USA cars, there's a procedure that you can follow to program it yourself, but you need at least two already programmed keys. This didn't work for me. But you can just take the newly cut one to any car locksmith and they'll program it for you as long as you have at least one original.

Mat

I get you now. Thanks