Replacing Driver Side Wing Mirror Glass

Excellevent

Question

My wife has a Chrysler Ypsillon and some inconsiderate motorist actually drove past her car last night and clipped her driver side wing mirror, smashing the mirror glass, but leaving the mirror housing intact and undamaged.

I want to replace the mirror glass, but noticed in the mirror housing, that there are two wires, which I am presuming is to enable the mirror glass to be adjusted electronically.

Does anyone in the forum know if any new replacement mirror glass, comes with fitted contact points to affix to the two wires in the mirror housing?

It was late at night when the damage was incurred so I have not got access o the broken original mirror glass to check how it connects to the wires?

Can anyone advise me as to where best to purchase a replacement mirror, and how difficult/easy is it to reconnect the mirror to the wires please?

3 answers to this question

Hi Excellevent

I suffered same on my Bravo years ago.

The tags are for heating the mirror.

A new (OEM) mirror will / should have tags on it.

IIRC the tags are / maybe slightly different sizes(?) but as it is basically a heater it does not matter which tag is which if not.

The motor connections are further back in the hub - so unless the whole mirror assembly is smashed its a simple replacement.

**Be aware of the broken glass splinters - use a vacuum cleaner first to remove any shards of glass etc

To remove the old glue patch, meths or alcohol & a scraper required.

Allow some time to allow alcohol to evaporate, before using the new supplied patch on mirror & clip.

You can make a carrier to position new mirror by looping around some strong thread at both sides of the mirror - line up and then push in centre. It does require a bit of a fiddle - but if not central, you cannot move mirror in the mirror housing.

There is not a default 'central' position - it is very much hit and miss. (Fiat warned me of this).

Also - don't do it over a tarmac / hard surface, as if you drop the new mirror - your next visit will be to the mirror seller. Put some form of 'softness under the door. Catching it is not an option. Fiat technician did this in front of me ..... need to say more, cleared second broken mirror up ....

Penguin

Edited by Penguin2007

Thanks so much for this information.

I can buy a new mirror glass from an eBay supplier, (£10:99) it is difficult to see whether or not the new mirror glass comes with an adhesive patch, which includes the spade connector plates for the two wires, but I'm gonna buy the replacement mirror glass anyway.

Thanks again,

Excellevent